Real Estate Blog PHILIPPINES

Providing real estate facts (and more) in the Philippines since 2017.

Government approves another reclamation project in Pasay

MANILA, Philippines — The government has allowed another reclamation project by Davao-based builder Ulticon Builders Inc. despite President Duterte’s recent public pronouncements he would no longer allow reclamation projects along Manila Bay.

The Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA), chaired by Alberto Agra and led by general manager and CEO Janilo Rubiato, has approved the execution of a memorandum of understanding with the City of Pasay for the Pasay-260 Hectare Reclamation Project.

The MOU is subject to the submission to PRA of the remaining legal and financial pre-qualification requirements prior to the signing of the MOU,” according to PRA documents obtained by The STAR. The documents were dated July 1.



Pasay Harbor City 260 Corp.’s incorporators are Davao-based businessman Carlos “Charlie” Gonzalez and his Davao- based triple A contractor Ulticon Builders, based on documents submitted to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

Its primary purpose is to reclaim foreshore and offshore land, including allied industries such as construction and development.

Aside from this new reclamation project, Ulticon is also the proponent of the ongoing and already approved Pasay 265 reclamation project.

Gonzalez and Dennis Uy’s Udenna Development Corp. were partners in the Pasay 265 project, together with China Harbour Engineering Corp., which was also earlier approved by the PRA and the Philippine Competition Commission.

Sought for comment, Uy told The STAR he is not involved in the new reclamation project of Gonzalez and Ulticon.

His camp also said Udenna Land Inc. (ULI) does not own a stake in Pasay Harbor City Corp.’s Pasay 265 reclamation.

“ULI assigned its shares in PHCC (which were minimal to begin with) to Ulticon Builders in 2020,” Uy’s camp said in a statement.



It is not clear why the PRA has paved the way for another reclamation project despite Duterte’s public pronouncements against reclamation.

The STAR tried but was unable to get a comment from PRA’s Agra as of press time.

Reclamation projects that were already given notices to proceed – prior to Duterte’s pronouncements against further reclamation – include the Pasay Harbor City Reclamation Project or Pasay 265 of Ulticon and previously with Uy; the Pasay Reclamation Project or Pasay 360 of the SM Group, the Navotas Coastal Bay Reclamation and Development Project or Argonbay Construction Company; the Manila Solar City Project of Manila Goldcoast Development Corp; the Manila Horizon Reclamation Project of JBros Construction Corp. and the Manila Waterfront City Reclamation Project, according to PRA documents.


Article and Photo originally posted by Philippine Star last September 6, 2021 12:00am and written by Iris Gonzales.